Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Best Awards

Welcome, to the first ever Dustin's Disastrous Decisions' end of the year movie awards. I picked an award format rather than a top ten, so I could mention some movies and performances that impressed me even if they didn't make the cut. You will undoubtedly see less movies on this list than others, that's because I don't have the access some other critics have to movies, and I am stuck with seeing whatever comes to theaters or video on demand. I am going to stick to movies I have reviewed (or did mini reviews of on the Facebook page), so you all aren't left out of anything. So, without further adieu let me get the proceedings started with...

Best Animated

Nominees: The Lego Movie, Big Hero 6, The Boxtrolls, How to Train Your Dragon 2

Winner - The Lego Movie


This is a category that is near and dear to my heart. I made a point to try and see every animated feature that came out this year, so I would have an even list. Luckily, this year was not in short supply of amazing animated pictures. While I loved the other movies, there is no doubting that The Lego Movie was in a separate class entirely. With stellar voice acting, solid jokes for all ages, and an ending that should still not be spoiled it would have been hard for any movie to come close to this.  

Best Horror

Nominees: Annabelle, Oculus, The Quiet Ones

Winner - Annabelle


Meanwhile, in horror, the showing for this year was absolutely abysmal. Basically I had to choose between the movies I hated the least, and I was going to scrap this category (like I did with Romance and Musical... thanks Annie and Into the Woods); but I honestly love horror too much to just not give it a category. Even though this movie broke one of my biggest rules for horror (showing the creature that should remain unseen... seriously read the review), it had just enough tension, and points that caused me to jump, for me to give this the pass. Oculus was nice and original, but this movie just had more appeal. Plus, the baby... at the end... nightmares. 

Best Comedy

Nominees:  Horrible Bosses 2, 22 Jump Street, Neighbors

Winner - 22 Jump Street


Two sequels and a movie with Zac effrom as a lead, what is this world coming to. In all seriousness, the movies mentioned here are hilarious, and 22 Jump Street had me gasping for air and holding my gut throughout most of the run time. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum has grown stronger since the first movie, and their characters are still the next best comedic duo (for movies). The jokes involve some of the elements seen in the first film, and a fair amount of poking fun at their "sequel status." Doesn't quite hit the mark as well as the first movie, but it this is the best out of the entire year.

Best Action

Nominees: John Wick, The Equalizer; Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Winner - Captain America: The Winter Soldier


So, some people think that the market is going to be over-saturated with comic book movies (due to the bold list DC and Marvel have put out); but as long as the movies can do as well as this (and the other movie you will see on this list) I don't think we have anything to worry about. This movie only had real competition from one other action movie this year (John Wick) and choosing between them was like pulling teeth. In the end, I had to go with the movie that proved how different comic book movies can be from the everyday affair. The choreography was flawless, The Falcon costume was one of the most memorable comic book costumes I have seen, and the story was brilliant. I say give me all the comic book movies you can. One a day would be nice. 

Best Comic Book Adaption

Nominees: Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Winter Soldiers, X-Men: Days of Future Past

Winner - Guardians of the Galaxy


This category had slightly less competition, although I did want to at least mention the other's I liked. Honestly, what else could take this spot. It was like my two favorite franchises (Star Wars and  Firefly) met and had a baby. That baby went through some moments of obscurity as a comic book, then burst onto the big screen and sent the world into a frenzy. Out of all of the comic books I have read, I never kept current with this one, and now I wish I had, because this movie was just all types of brilliant. The most intense battle scenes I have been privileged to, some of the most creative characters,  and a soundtrack that lay claim to being one of three movie soundtracks I have downloaded (other two are Frozen and Tron: Legacy... Don't shoot). The movie was fun, this movie was exciting, this movie was one of the closest things to perfect I have seen from the comic book world.... and with all of those boasts LET THE HATE COMMENTS COMMENCE!

Best Novel Adaptation

Nominees: Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, Gone Girl, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Winner - Gone Girl


Has David Fincher ever done a bad film? If he has, this isn't one of them. As if to tell the world that Ben Affleck might not be the worst choice for Batman, or to tell the world that Neil Patrick Harris is actually a damn good actor, this movie struck critics and audiences alike in a big way. Let me put this out there, Tyler Perry has taken some hits as an actor, and even more as a creator (rightly so) and this movie makes him seem less shitty. The third act is inspiring, the performances are amazing, this movie is like if M. Night Shyamalan actually started to care again.

Best Religious

Nominees: Noah

Winner - Noah (obviously)


So, this is more of a statement category. Not only have their been a lot of comic movies that came out this year (lucky for us), there were a truck load of religious films that found there way to theater screens. Most were god awful, but this movie should be a testament (rimshot) that a movie based on religious materials can be be great. They may have tweaked the story a bit, but as you should know, every religion has a flood story.... I don't know, this could have been one. Great performances, great visuals, yada yada yada, make more religious crap like this. 

Best Science Fiction

Nominees: Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Edge of Tomorrow

Winner - Guardians of the Galaxy


This may be the flaw in my awards list. You can see above for this entry, in all honesty I just wanted to at least mention Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Edge of Tomorrow. Both great films, but again no contest here.

Best Acting - Male

Nominees: Michael Parks: Tusk, Jake Gyllenhaal: Nightcrawler, Matthew McConaughey: Interstellar, J.K. Simmons: Whiplash

Winner - Michael Parks


The movie Tusk took some justified beatings by a fair amount of critics, but I still enjoyed my time with this film. Yes, Jake Gyllenhaal was great, Yes, McConaughey was one of the few good things about Interstellar, and yes, J.K. Simmons gave Michael a run for his money, but the performance Parks put forth here was just too great for me to ignore. There is a lot of hate for Smith as a director, and believe me, I am no uber-fanboy (regardless of me following him on Twitter), Parks' performance had nothing to do with ill will or love. Just a cold hard fact that he cranked his acting muscle into overdrive for this movie. If you didn't like this pick, then you won't like some of the picks for...

Best Acting - Female

Nominees: Eva Green: Sin City a Dame to Kill For/300: Rise of an Empire, Emma Watson: Noah, Jennifer Lawrence: Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1, Kristen Stewart: Camp X-Ray

Winner - Eva Green


So, I originally just wanted to combine the two genders into one category, but there were so many great performances here I couldn't help but split it. Shouldn't have mentioned Kristen Stewart? Hey, she is perfectly typecast for most roles she is in, and that suits me just fine, can't hold Twilight against her forever. Eva Green had not only one fantastic performance, but two jaw-dropping, amazing performances this year. Seems like she wanted to burst onto the scene as a highly sexualized presence, being as how I don't really enjoy that aspect of women I had to look at her as an actor. She nailed the Dame, and damn near brought Athens to its knees. What's more to ask from her?

Best Movie

Nominees: Whiplash, Guardians of the Galaxy, Chef, The Lego Movie, Gone Girl

Winner - Whiplash


I saw Chef catching some shit too, and wanted to put it as my movie of the year out of spite; but, this movie was just too good to not be my top movie. Ladies and gentleman, let me just take you on  the emotional journey you will go through with this movie. Anger at the teacher, regret for agreeing with his tactics or disagreeing with them, sorrow for the student, joy for the student, hate, love, this movie is a god damn roller coaster of emotions. J. K. Simmons puts forth one of the greatest performances form the year, Miles Teller sheds some preconceived notions about him, and the story is insanely good. This movie will either make you love jazz music or at least appreciate it. If you see nothing else from this year, see this.

That's it from the best, tune in tomorrow for the worst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment